While we like to make healthy choices most of the time, we find there’s nothing wrong with some pure indulgence on special occasions or, you know, just when you feel like it. If you’re in the market for something sinfully delicious, this bad boy is definitely for you; it’s a perfectly rich and moist chocolate cake that’s topped with the best chocolate ganache we’ve ever tasted. Sprinkle some almonds down onto the ganache and you’re in business!
Aside from the fact that this cake has made its way into our minds, tummies and hearts, it presents beautifully, so it’s a great choice for any entertaining you might be doing, or fancier occasions where you want to go all-out. And you can make it the night before, as the amazing flavor continues to build to perfection, so you don’t need to stress the day of! Take our word for it, you need this cake for those special moments in life, so check it out and get ready to have your minds blown!
Chocolate Cake With Ganache Frosting
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- cooking spray or shortening
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350º F and coat two springform pans with cooking spray or shortening.
- Line with parchment paper and re-coat with cooking spray, then dust with cocoa powder and shake out excess.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and toss together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Beat together coffee, eggs, oil, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In small batches, add dry ingredients to coffee mixture, whisking continuously to make sure there are no lumps. Mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between both cake pans, place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 40 minutes. Gently remove from pans.
- To make the ganache: combine heavy cream, butter, sugar and sea salt in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until butter is melted, then take pan off heat and whisk in chocolate and espresso granules.
- Mix in vanilla extract until ganache is smooth and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once cakes are cooled, use a serrated knife to evenly trim off the risen tops.
- With a rubber spatula, spread 1/2-3/4 cup ganache onto the bottom cake.
- Place second cake carefully on top and pour remaining ganache over the top, letting it drizzle down the sides.
- Take your almonds and sprinkle them around the outer edge of the cake.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn