When it comes to simple side dishes, there’s nothing like fried rice. Without meat, it makes for a great appetizer, and with some easy additions it can also make for a great side. We wanted to make our own, and thus began looking for the perfect recipe.
There are a few good secrets to any fried rice recipe. First, the rice should be long grain rice as opposed to short grain and sushi rice. The rice should also be cold and leftover, firming it up slightly. If it’s too fresh, the rice will just turn out mushy. The next trick is to keep a very hot skillet or wok. The hotter the better, and make sure it’s hot before adding the rice. finally, the last secret is restraint. Don’t add too many ingredients, and certainly don’t add too much sauce. Just add enough to flavor the rice, but not overpower. Keep reading below for our favorite recipe…
Simple Fried Rice
30min to prepare (makes 6-8 servings)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce (optional)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- Heat up a skillet or wok until hot. Add the sesame oil, followed by the onions and carrots. Fry until tender.
- Push the peas and carrots to the side, then pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Scramble the eggs, then once cooked mix the eggs with the vegetables.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add the egg mixture, mix, then pour the soy sauce and optionally the oyster sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggies until heated through. Finish by topping with green onions.
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic