The Perfect Cornbread Recipe– And This Time We Added A Little Kick!
Looking to spice up the usual cornbread recipe? Add some jalapeño for a kick and some cheddar for flavor that you’ll love.
These muffins are absolutely perfect as a side – pair them with chili, fried chicken, and all your summer barbecue favorites. Or, just enjoy them as a snack, they are definitely good enough to eat that way!
This recipe only makes 12, but we’d suggest doubling it for a bigger crowd – these muffins will definitely get eaten quickly!
Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
(makes 12 servings)
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 jalapeÒo, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed corn kernels (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Get a medium-size bowl and combine the butter, sugar, and agave nectar, then whisk the eggs and buttermilk in. If you donít have buttermilk on hand, then put a tablespoon of lemon juice in a measuring cup and fill it the rest of the way to the one-cup mark with milk. Let the mixture sit for five minutes, and youíll have buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda together. Then add this mixture to the medium bowl of butter and sugar and agave, being careful not to over-mix. Stop mixing once you donít see the flour anymore, and then fold in the jalapeño, corn, and cheese.
- Grease a muffin tin and then add the batter to each of the 12 cups, filling each about 3/4 of the way. If there is leftover batter, spread it among all the cups ñ just make sure they are only almost filled to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, testing the center of the muffin with a toothpick. If the toothpick does not come out clean, put the muffins back in the oven for about five minutes.
Recipe adapted from The Comfort of CookingPrint Recipe