Cauliflower seems to be the latest food hero and it’s easy to see why. Whether you’re cutting carbs or just looking for something a little different, it’s a great substitute for rice, mashed potatoes, pizza crust, bread… we could go on. It takes on whatever flavors of the dish it’s in; it’s really the chameleon of the food world! And this Cheesy Tex-Mex Cauliflower Rice showcases just what it does best.
This dish uses cauliflower so well. Here, it adds bulk and nutrition and provides a great base to a whole bunch of zesty flavors. This dish is colorful as can be (which means it’s packed with vitamins!) and has so much flavor going on.
It’s spicy with little pops of sweetness from the corn and has hearty chicken and black beans to keep it filling but not heavy. The depth of flavor you get for a one-pan meal is pretty impressive. We love to make a big batch and eat leftovers for lunch throughout the week.
Tex-Mex Cauliflower Rice
20 minutes to prepare serves 2-4
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 a medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a food processor, pulse cauliflower until it becomes fine grains, resembling rice. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and cumin, and cook until fragrant, just 1 minute.
- Add more olive oil if needed, then add cauliflower rice. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir until well combined. Add chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, and stir until combined.
- Top with both cheeses, cover and cook until cheese has melted, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately with lime wedges. Enjoy!