Pumpkin pie is an eternal favorite around the holiday table, but we love it so much we wanted to take that flavor and make it a little better suited for casual everyday consumption. These Pumpkin Pie Bites are the perfect poppable pumpkin flavored treat. They’re a cute little hand-held dessert… if you ever need to take your dessert on the go, these are the ideal solution! And with a delicate cinnamon-sugar crunch on the outside and a warm and soft pumpkin-spiced center, they’re absolutely delicious.
We love how simple they are to put together. The dough is refrigerated crescent roll dough, which is definitely not just for crescent rolls. The possiblities with that stuff are endless! In this application, it makes quick work of a fresh baked hand pie.
The filling on these has all of the pumpkin spice flavor you’ve come to expect from a traditional pie and it’s really simple to mix up. Before making the filling, you want to squeeze out any excess moisture from the pumpkin puree to keep the bites from getting soggy. Just wrap the puree in a kitchen towel or a few paper towels and squeeze out whatever liquid you can.
Pumpkin Pie Bites
30 minutes to prepare serves 8
- 1 tube of crescent roll dough
- For pumpkin pie filling:
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, squeezed in paper towels to drain moisture
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the coating:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the icing:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk, or more to reach desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, white sugar, and brown sugar until well-combined. Add the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Add egg yolk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Lay out crescent roll dough and separate into 4 rectangles, sealing the perforation between the two triangles with your fingers. Cut each rectangle in half to make 8 total squares.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of pumpkin filling into the center of each dough square. Pinch the corners of the dough around the pumpkin filling and roll gently to make a well-sealed ball.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Brush each ball with melted butter, then roll evenly in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Set each bite, seal side down, onto the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake until bites are golden brown, 11-15 minutes.
- While bites are baking, prepare icing in a small bowl by mixing together powdered sugar and milk 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired thickness. Drizzle over the bites and serve immediately. Enjoy!