Butter chicken (similar to chicken tikka masala) is one of our top choices anytime we go out for Indian food, and it’s been only recently that we realized we could make it for ourselves at home…things just got even better though. Now we can make this delicious dish in our slow cooker!
We’ll admit, we cut down on the butter a bit, but you still end up with a rich, buttery, flavorful sauce that’ll knock your socks off. Prepping this dish is a breeze, and comes together in under 15 minutes, then you just toss everything together in the slow cooker and call it a day. Get yourself some basmati rice or naan and you’ve got yourself a well-balanced meal that tastes amazing. With an ingredient list that doesn’t make you want to run for the hills, this meal is easy and delicious, and we can’t wait to make it again!
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- basmati rice, garnish
- Heat butter in a large pan or skillet over medium heat and sauté onion for 10-12 minutes, or until softened and caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then transfer to slow cooker.
- Place cubed chicken on top of onions, then season with garam masala, paprika, cumin, turmeric and cayenne, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour in coconut milk, then stir in tomato paste and flour, mixing so that everything combines.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours (or on low for 5-6), until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Serve hot with basmati rice or naan. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Noshing With The Nolands