This is a recipe that has different roots from all over Europe and the world. Known most commonly as a “quiche” (from France), this savory tart or “torta salata” (as it's referred to in Italy) is the perfect way to begin or end your day. Quiche is a delicious meal at any time of day because it's filled with cheese, eggs and your choice of proteins of vegetables. This one is filled to the brim with chicken, bacon and red pepper, and it tastes just as good a day or two after you first make it, so it's ideal recipe to whip up as you head into the week and want yummy, filling foods to get you through your days!
Chicken and Bacon Quiche
Yields 6-8 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely diced into small cubes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 store-bought frozen pie shell (9- or 10-inch)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 425º F and bake unthawed pie shell for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 375º F.
- Place a medium pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon slices until extra crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Drain fat from pan and heat olive oil. Cook diced bell pepper until softened. About 10 minutes.
- Add diced chicken to the bell peppers to warm it up, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and mix in milk and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place bell peppers and chicken in pie crust and make sure they are spread out evenly.
- Pour cheese and egg mixture over the vegetables and top with crumbled bacon.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fork inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes. Slice, garnish with chives and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Things My Belly Likes