It’s pizza night in our house! We know that ordering take-out is easy, or that buying a jar of store-bought sauce makes cooking a breeze, but this particular sauce recipe is super simple to make and store for later. We love to make our own pizza sauce….the simmering garlic and tomato makes the whole house smell delicious and inviting, plus, adding balsamic vinegar really brings in a depth of flavor that a lot of other store-bought sauces don’t have. With just a little effort we make a sauce that has definitely become a family favorite.
Our recipe is another weekend cooking project that can be done without too much mess or hands-on time. The sauce is ready to use immediately after cooking, but can also be stored in an airtight container, taken out of the refrigerator and used for a quick weeknight dinner. Grab pizza dough from the grocery store along with your favorite toppings. This sauce is full on flavor and will make a simple pizza extra special.
Savory Homemade Pizza Sauce
1 hour to prepare 2 cups
- 2 cans (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Store-bought pizza dough
- Pizza toppings
- In a large sauce pan, sauté shallot until softened. Add in minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently to avoid burning the garlic.
- Add in remaining ingredients: crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, herbs, and sugar. Bring to a simmer then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Stir regularly, allowing the sauce to reduce for 30 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Spread over pizza dough and add desired pizza toppings, or cool completely and store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Little Spice Jar