Proper 12T 12tomatoes_belowtitle

Do You Love Those Creamy Ikea Swedish Meatballs? Well Here’s The Recipe!

If you’ve ever been to the giant and never-ending furniture warehouse that is IKEA, you’ll know that you’re always only 60% devoted to your household search. The remaining 40% of your brain is already drooling over the Swedish meatballs that are really the only thing getting you through the store. These meatballs are so unbelievably good, in their creamy gravy sauce, that they could fuel a trip to the store without even having a furniture need to scout out.

Perfect for a casual family meal, simple to make and not too time-consuming, these meatballs are so close (if not better!) than the originals and will save you a trip to IKEA. Now there’s no need to wander around, lost, for 3 hours, while your resolve slowly leaves you and each couch or bed keeps looking better and better as a place to take a nap. Try these out at home and be amazed–you’ll start making them all the time, they’re so great!

Ikea Swedish Meatballs

Yields 3-4 dozen meatballs

Ingredients

Meatballs:

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Gravy:

  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups beef broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent. 5-7 minutes.
  2. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
  3. Pour in milk and stir until a paste forms.
  4. Combine beef, pork, breadcrumbs, egg and egg yolk, nutmeg, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
  5. Mix in onion paste and use your hands to mix everything together and make sure it’s all incorporated.
  6. Take a small ice cream scoop or spoon and begin forming 1-1 1/2-inch meatballs.
  7. Heat remaining butter in skillet and, in batches, brown meatballs on all sides, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
  8. For the gravy: melt butter in the same pot over medium heat.
  9. Once melted, whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes so flour cooks out.
  10. Slowly stir in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and keep whisking until sauce is smooth.
  11. Stir in heavy cream, season with salt and pepper, and cook until thickened. 2-3 minutes.
  12. Return meatballs to gravy and cook until completely cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
  13. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve immediately.

Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious

LockerDome – Desktop $2cpm
Proper 12T 12tomatoes_belowcontent

Get inspired 12 Tomatoes recipes in your Inbox!