We know all you tomato lovers are craving a nice, hearty recipe that uses those fantastic red veggies. Rather than making a sauce or a salad, try this tomato pie! It’s a savory lunch or dinnertime dish that really hits the spot.
Just to be clear, we’re not talking pizza here: Once complete, from the outside this dish appears no different than an old-fashioned apple pie. But inside it’s a whole different story. Tomatoes, basil, onion, cheese. This recipe is simple and hearty. So go grab four tomatoes… and enjoy!
Photo credit: Flickr user†Palmetto Cheese.†
(makes 6 servings)
4 tomatoes- peeled and sliced,
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped,
1/2 cup chopped green onion,
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell,
1 cup grated mozzarella,
1 cup grated cheddar,
1 cup mayonnaise,
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
3. Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together.
5. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.†Cut into slices and serve warm.
Adapted from the Food Network.†