Sometimes a few unlikely items in your fridge can add up to one scrumptious meal. This tart is the perfect example. If you’ve got prosciutto and pears in the fridge, you’re in luck. The sweet, delicate flavor of this fruit perfectly complements the savory prosciutto on a tart. Throw in some creamy gorgonzola, and your tastebuds are in for a real treat.
This sensational combination of salty & sweet has been all the rage lately in restaurants. Cheeses like gorgonzola or goat cheese are crumbled on top of pizzas and sandwiches with sliced pears or apples and a few slices of prosciutto to top it off. There’s a reason people can’t get enough of this trio. Try making this simple tart and you’ll understand!
Pear, Prosciutto & Gorgonzola Tart
(Makes 4-6 servings)
4 ounces cream cheese
2 ounces Gorgonzola
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
Pinch of salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
3 small pears, cored and sliced
2 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips
1. Bake pie shell according to directions and remove from oven to cool.
2. Combine the cream cheese, Gorgonzola, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Recommended: use a hand mixer to thoroughly combine cheeses.
3. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Place pears on skillet and cook for about five minutes or until golden.
4. Spread the whipped cheese mixture over the tart crust once it is cooled. Cover with pear slices placed in a decorative pattern, and finish off with a sprinkle of prosciutto strips on top.
5. Slice the tart into wedges and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Food Network.