We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, all too frequently we fall into a cooking rut and find ourselves making different versions of chicken again and again. When you’re tired of chicken and don’t feel like red meat, share the love and use pork instead! Lean like chicken and full of healthy vitamins like iron and potassium, pork can be used in myriad ways.
Here, we threw together a healthy skillet with boneless pork chops and peppers, making a tasty brown gravy-esque sauce that steals the show. Speaking of that magical sauce, we used beef broth and red wine in ours, since the wine offers a delicious – yet not overpowering – flavor that we can’t get enough of. Along with some tomato paste to give more flavor and thicken things up, staple spices like basil and oregano round things out. This sauce is seriously so tasty, and it perfectly coats the pork and veggies.
We know you’ll be hooked once you give this a shot, now the only thing you need to think about is what your favorite part about this dish is: that it’s delicious and good for you, or that it’s a one-pan dish that makes for breezy cleanup…you really can’t go wrong!
30 Minute Pork And Peppers
30 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 6 boneless pork chops
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over high heat and brown (seasoned) pork chops on all sides.
- Transfer browned pork chops to a separate plate, then lower heat to medium-high. Add peppers and onions to the oiled skillet and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, then stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and bring to a boil, making sure to scrape up any crispy bits on the bottom of the skillet. Once you’ve deglazed the pan, pour in beef broth.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes, then return pork to the skillet, lower heat to medium, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, flipping pork over halfway, until fully cooked through.
- Serve pork chops with mashed potatoes or veggies, drizzling sauce over everything for added flavor.
Recipe adapted from Coco and Ash