If you’re as obsessed with perfectly ripe pineapple as we are, you’ll feel as excited as we did about this delightfully refreshing summer salad. It sounds and looks a little unusual at first, given that pineapple and cucumber wouldn’t be the first things we think of to pair together, but trust us when we say this is a match made in heaven. The jewel-toned, juicy fruit and the nice, green cucumber are the stars of the show here, but they share the stage with jalapeño, which adds the perfect amount of kick – although it’s not overpowering – red onion and cilantro. Along with a healthy squeeze of lime juice, all these flavors blend together to create the ultimate cool-down dish.
While we’re all for cutting corners if it’s going to save time or energy with a recipe, we will say it’s pretty paramount here to use the freshest produce you can find. A gorgeous pineapple will give you the best, most juicy bites of sweetness, which go swimmingly with your crisp bites of cucumber and red onion. Six ingredients, plus some good ol’ salt and pepper, and you’ve got yourself a side dish that knocks everyone’s socks off every time! You can throw it together in a matter of minutes, and anything that makes dinner or a cookout easier is absolutely A-okay with us, so you know it’s been in heavy rotation around our house this summer…and we have a pretty good hunch you’ll feel the same way once you try it!
Pineapple Cucumber Salad
20 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 pineapple, roughly 2 1/2 cups, diced
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine, pineapple, cucumber, jalapeño and red onion in a large bowl.
- Add cilantro and lime juice, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, or until flavors have a time to blend together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Eat Well 101