We were having a couple friends over for a summer party and wanted something a little different from the usual chips-and-dip routine. We put our heads together to come up with a menu of fun snacks and treats, and one particular recipe caught our eye: a piña colada dip. It combines sweet and citrusy pineapple with creamy additions like frozen whipped topping and cream cheese. The best part is that it’s super easy to put together and it takes care of dessert without turning on an oven. Our friends were surprised at the unexpected dessert, and they were definitely impressed by how sweet, delicious, and fun it was to eat!
Now, of course, this isn’t a true piña colada, made with blended pineapple, coconut, cream, and rum. This is a family friendly version and in an unexpected format: a dip. What could be more fun than to serve up a cool and sweet treat to a group of good friends?! We like the cream cheese in mixed in; it helps to cut back on the acidity of the pineapple and gives the dip real substance, making all the more “dip-like” in overall appearance and taste. And once the made its appearance, it was gone as quickly as it was made. Oh my goodness, this was just sooo good.
Whenever pineapple meets coconut and cream, we know we’re in for something super tasty. Talk about a hit! Everyone devoured the entire bowl so quickly, I had to whip up a second batch. Young and old alike will enjoy this fun take on an appetizer-meets-dessert in the form of a piña colada dip. What a fun way to break up the normal snack routine with a dip that was sweet, cool, and refreshing. Piña colada dip is perfect in the summertime, or for any time you want to serve up a sweet treat for parties. It’s sure to make a big splash, so grab a cookie and dive right in!
Piña Colada Dip
30 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (7 oz.) package shredded coconut
- 1 (8 oz.) package frozen whipped topping
- Vanilla wafer cookies or graham crackers, for serving
- pineapple slices and grapes or maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Combine drained pineapple, shredded coconut and cream cheese in a large bowl or food processor. Mix together, or pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Fold in frozen whipped topping.
- Chill for 20 minutes, or serve immediately, garnished with vanilla wafer cookies or graham crackers.
Recipe adapted from Coco and Ash