The BLT is a classic, and for good reason. It's a simple, lunchtime staple and when you've got a craving for it, nothing else will do. But why pick one up at the local fast food joint when you can make one from scratch at home? Throwing together a BLT is super easy and it tastes even better homemade.
In this delicious BLT recipe, we've opted for focaccia bread– it makes the sandwich nice and crusty and gives it a boost of flavor. Sourdough is another great choice– but feel free to mix and match with your own favorite bread. Another unusual addition to this BLT: avocado. Not only is this lovely green veggie good for you, but it blends together perfectly with the other ingredients and makes this sandwich truly fantastic.
Tip: If you don't have a panini press on hand, you can still toast your sandwich by placing it on the stovetop on a skillet and heating it up to medium-high, then using a lid or another pan as a makeshift press.
Grilled Cheddar BLT
(makes 2 servings)
- 4 slices of focaccia or bread of your choice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 2 slices lettuce
- 2-4 slices of tomato
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- ½ avocado
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Heat panini press or griddle on the stovetop
- Combine avocado, lime juice, mayonnaise and salt and pepper.
- Spread 1/2 avocado mixture on one slice of bread.
- Top with 2 strips bacon, 1 slice tomato, lettuce leaf, slice of cheddar cheese and final piece of bread.
- Smear bread with 1 tablespoon butter and place on hot panini grill.
- Butter remaining bread.
- Repeat steps with second sandwich.
- Serve with tater tots, fries or your favorite soup. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted fromPetit Foodie.