This tasty chicken recipe is so good; full of Mediterranean and Italian flavors and not at all difficult to make! It's fun to spruce up chicken every once in a while and stuff it with a mixture of cheese and veggies, and we love the unique taste of sun-dried tomatoes paired with delicious sauteed mushrooms and kalamata olives. Add to that creamy mozzarella cheese and you're in business! If you don't feel like whipping out (or cleaning) the food processor, that's fine; finely chop your ingredients and your family will never know the difference! Try this dish and we guarantee you'll want to make it again enjoy!
Mushroom And Tomato Stuffed Chicken
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 oz. mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 (8 oz.) jar sun-dried tomato halves
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for filling
- 1 sprig rosemary, de-stemmed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally (as though you were going to butterfly them, but slice all the way through), place between 2 layers of plastic wrap and pound chicken out to 1/4-inch thickness. Season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat and saute mushrooms and rosemary until softened and browned. 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms, rosemary and cooking juices to food processor and add olives and 4-5 tomato halves. Pour in 2 teaspoons sun-dried tomato packing oil, oregano and basil.
- Pulse mixture for 10 seconds, or until semi-smooth, but still grainy. Add more olive oil if mixture needs to be smoother.
- Spoon 1/2-1 tablespoon tomato mixture onto each piece of chicken breast, top with 1 slice mozzarella (shredded into pieces) and roll chicken into a little log. Transfer chicken logs, seam side down, to baking sheet.
- Top chicken with another slice of mozzarella, remaining sauce and 1 tomato half.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5-7 minutes before serving.