If you’ve ever spent any time in Utah, it’s very likely you’ve heard of funeral potatoes. Originating as a popular dish that people would bring to funeral luncheons, these creamy and crunchy potatoes gained popularity and now no get-together is complete without them! While traditional versions call for hash browns, we decided to try out mashed potatoes and were thrilled with the results…combined with the buttery corn flake topping, this casserole is a knock-out!
Mormon Funeral Potatoes
- 2 (10 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 4 cups potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups corn flakes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl, stir cream of chicken soup and sour cream into mashed potatoes.
- Mix in cheddar cheese, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, toss corn flakes with melted butter until they’re all evenly coated.
- Transfer potatoes to a 9×13-inch baking dish and cover with corn flakes.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until corn flakes are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up