Ice cream sandwiches are usually underestimated, but we wanted to give them a chance to win you over once and for all. While you could most definitely enjoy them on their own, we were planning an upcoming birthday party and thought they would make the perfect choice for a unique spin on the traditional ice cream cake!
This dessert is the ultimate hack because it’s easy, fun, and perfect for summer. You don’t need to worry about making a filling from scratch, plus, the ice cream bars are a tasty surprise to find once you take that first bite. Trust us, this is a crowd-pleaser every time, so go stock up on ice cream and ice cream sandwiches, and get going before it melts!
Ice Cream Sandwich Ice Box Cake
15 minutes active; 2 hours inactive to prepare serves 8
- 10-12 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 quart ice cream of your choice (we used chocolate), softened
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping
- chocolate sauce
- caramel sauce
- Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Make a flat layer of ice cream sandwiches in the bottom of your baking dish. (Cut ice cream bars in half, if necessary.)
- Evenly spread softened ice cream, about 1/3 of the tub, over sandwiches. Pour a thin layer of chocolate sauce and/or caramel sauce over ice cream, and smooth gently.
- Top with another layer of ice cream sandwiches, then refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until ice cream sets.
- Remove from fridge, carefully extract cake from baking dish and invert onto serving platter.
- “Frost” cake on all sides with frozen whipped topping, then make alternating lines of chocolate and caramel sauce across top of cake.
- Use a knife or toothpick to drag (in alternating directions) through sauces to create a marbled look.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Indigo Street