We turn to pasta so frequently that we end up forgetting about how great gnocchi can be. Potato dumplings that have earned themselves an honorary spot in the pasta family, gnocchi are easy to cook – just a few minutes in boiling water or in a hot skillet – and then you dress ‘em up however you like! Here, we went with a protein-packed chicken dish, filled with fresh cherry tomatoes and lots of yummy herbs. You get tons of Italian flavors with this and the final result is a pretty healthy, filling dinner that the whole family will love…what’s not to love about that?!
Italian Chicken Gnocchi
30 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 (16 oz.) package potato gnocchi
- 1 (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry or golden tomatoes, halved
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary, stems removed, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh basil, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions, or until they rise to the surface of the water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan or skillet over high heat and sear chicken breasts until browned on all sides. 3-5 minutes. Once browned, remove chicken to a separate plate and set aside.
- Return skillet to stove and heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Season generously with salt and pepper, then add dried rosemary, basil, oregano and red pepper.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and halved cherry tomatoes and bring to a boil, crushing cherry tomatoes as you go. Return chicken to pan and cover with sauce.
- Transfer skillet to oven and cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until it’s completely cooked.
- While chicken is in the oven, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook gnocchi according to package directions, or until gnocchi rise to the surface.
- Drain and immediately add to hot skillet, tossing in sauce until coated.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh basil and parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Foodie Crush