Win your Christmas Party (and then call for a ride home) with this Midcentury Punchbowl classic
Fair warning. Holiday Eggnog Superior is a relic of the Three Martini Lunch era. Consume this delicious Holiday spirit judiciously.
Don Draper's Holiday Eggnog Superior
45min to prepare serves 12-20
- One Dozen Large Fresh Eggs (separated)
- Granulated Sugar (two level cups + 1/4 cup, set aside)
- Bourbon, Rye or Whiskey (One liter)
- 151 Rum (8 ounces)
- Brandy or Cognac (8 ounces)
- Whole Milk (48 ounces)
- Heavy Cream (24 ounces)
- Vanilla Extract (One tablespoon)
- Nutmeg (One teaspoon)
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Dry Ice
- Punch Bowl and ladle
- A ride home
- Crack and seperate yolk from egg, preserving yolks and egg whites in two seperate glass or stainless steel mixing bowls.
- Hand-mix the yolks in a large mixing bowl until pale yellow in color.
- Begin slowly adding sugar, mixing it in a little at a time. Continue beating until sugar is absorbed.
- Pour Bourbon, Rums and Brandy into a single serving pitcher and stir for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add liquor into egg/sugar mixture, hand-mixing as your pour a steady stream of liquor into the mixing bowl. Beat constantly until mixture is custard-like in texture. PRO TIP: It is imperative to slowly add the liquor to the egg mixture, as it is the liquor that is curing or cooking the raw egg. When done correctly, the liquor, sugar and eggs combine into a rich custard that forms the base of your Eggnog Superior.
- Beat milk into the egg and liquor mixture, set aside.
- Return to Egg White mixing bowl, beat whites until stiff points form.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine Heavy Cream with 1/4 cup granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Whip the cream until thick and creamy.
- Fold the whipped cream into the Egg White mixture.
- Slowly pour Liquor/Egg Custard mixture into the Whipped Cream/Egg White mixture, thoroughly folding the custard into the creamy whites until mixture is completely blended.
- Add fresh nutmeg, cover and refrigerate for two to twelve hours prior to serving.
When ready to serve, pour the Eggnog Superior into a Holiday Punchbowl over a block of Dry Ice. Ladle Eggnog Superior into serving cups, four ounces per serving, finish with Cinnamon Stick.
Now get ready to enjoy the best Christmas Party that you’ll never remember!
Recipe courtesy of Senator John J. Hulten/Arlene Hulten family cookbook.