Macaroni and cheese is one of those quintessential comfort foods that we love to indulge in– it's delicious, cheesy perfection, and we can't get enough of it! Unfortunately, it's also usually loaded with calories, making it a less-than-healthy choice for us on any given day. Well, as you may know, when the craving for mac n' cheese hits, it really hits hard, and we couldn't just leave ourselves (and our stomachs) hanging like that, so we came up with a way healthier version of the dish that doesn't sacrifice any of that great flavor!
Our skinny mac is lightened up considerably due to the presence of cauliflower; it's subtle flavor doesn't overwhelm the dish and it makes the final product surprisingly creamy! If you want to feel indulgent without the guilt, definitely check this dish outit tastes amazing and the use of lighter ingredients (skim milk and reduced fat sour cream) and the King Veggie Cauliflower work to make it absolutely excellent!
Cauliflower Mac And Cheese
30min to prepare Serves 5-6
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or other pasta
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to packaging directions, or until just al dente. Reserve pasta water.
- Wait a few minutes for pasta water to come back up to a boil and add cauliflower florets. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove cauliflower from pot, shaking off excess water, and transfer to blender or food processor.
- Add 2 tablespoons cooking water and pulse until cauliflower is pureed and mostly smooth.
- Stir cooked pasta and pureed cauliflower together in a large bowl (or in casserole dish) and stir in milk, sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and nutmeg and mix together.
- If not there already, pour mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until Parmesan is golden and crispy and sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Pop Sugar