Just when you thought grilled cheese couldn’t get any better…it just did. We’ve got a mic drop grilled cheese recipe that is gooey, cheesy, crispy and downright decadent. This isn’t an everyday kind of grilled cheese, but one intended for a special occasion. So when we really want to impress our hungry bunch, this is the recipe. We love to play with our food, and experimenting with ingredients and unexpected combinations, a little of this here and a pinch of that there, helps keep us on our toes in the kitchen. This grilled cheese recipe was born out of a little breakfast classic meets lunch classic inspiration and boy-oh-boy, does it taste good!
Two of our favorite breakfast and lunch meals, hash browns and grilled cheese, are joined in a union of unexpectedly delicious proportions. And we didn’t stop with just adding cheese…heavens no! Of course something like this, already a little bit wacky meal must be combined with crumbled bacon, adding a little crunch to the crispy hash browns, and green onions for a little fresh peppery flavor. If you think about it, really, this is kind of like a baked potato, but in a grilled cheese package – how fun!
What comes off of the skillet is a grilled cheese unlike anything we’ve had before. This is a meal that is great on its own, but could certainly be served with a cup of tomato soup to dunk it in. We couldn’t believe how well this turned out! This is a special occasion kind of sandwich, not for everyday consumption, but one that will definitely impress whomever is fortunate enough to have this on the menu. We like to think this is pretty much a “mic drop” in the grilled cheese sandwich world!
Hash Brown Grilled Cheese
20 minutes to prepare serves 1-2
- 2 cups frozen hash browns (of 1, 32 oz. bag)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1/4 cup bacon, crumbled
- chives, optional, garnish
- ketchup, optional, garnish
- Heat butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add one large mound of hash browns to hot pan and use spatula to press down flat in pan.
- Cover until hash browns are warmed through.
- Add cheese, and crumbled bacon, if using, to one side of hash browns, then use a knife or spatula to score a line down the middle of hash brown mound.
- Flip one half of hash brown pile onto the other, encasing cheesy bacon.
- Grill for 5 minutes, covered, so cheese melts, then flip and grill other side until browned.
- Remove from skillet and serve hot, garnished with chives and ketchup.