We are crazy about any and all baked chicken recipes, but this one is definitely among our top five favorite chicken meals. With a surprisingly simple brown sugar honey garlic glaze covering a bed of caramelized onions and chicken, what’s not to love? The glaze is incredible and highly addictive – don’t say we didn’t warn you!
The best part is, you can customize this recipe to include any leftover veggies you have lying around the house. Make it a heartier meal by serving the chicken with rice, or keep it light and easy with a side salad. This dish is the perfect weeknight dinner that can be thrown together in just over 30 minutes. Go ahead and try this delicious variation on baked chicken!
Garlic Brown Sugar Baked Chicken With Caramelized Onions
45 min to prepare serves 6-8
- 8 pieces of chicken, bone in
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and add to the skillet.
- Sear chicken pieces on both sides until golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side, then set chicken in prepared baking dish, along with onion slices.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the same skillet. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in brown sugar, honey, oregano, thyme, and basil and stir to combine. Pour glaze over the chicken and onion, and bake in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, remove from oven and serve hot!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious.