Possibly The Most Addicting Thing On The Planet, Fritos Are The Icing On The Cake For This Casserole
If you haven’t noticed, we’re pretty big on Mexican food over here. We’ve talked about tacos, taco salads, and taco soup, but this casserole is quite possibly our new favorite. Maybe that’s because we put Fritos in it!
Yes, indeed. Frito corn chips are one of our favorite junk/snack foods and we knew that the way to take this casserole to the (guilty) next level was to include them with our beef, beans and chiles. This dish is loaded with flavor and we can’t wait to make it again!
Frito Taco Casserole
30min to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- 1 (4 oz.) can mild green chiles, diced
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, or Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups Fritos (or corn chips of your choice), divided
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Drain fat, reserving 1 tablespoon, and saute onions until softened and translucent. 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add taco seasoning. Return beef to pan, then add salsa, chiles and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in rice, cheddar cheese, and refried beans, and transfer mixture to a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup Fritos and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and dish is warmed through.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining Fritos and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from CooKen-Casseroles