Macaroni and cheese is a dish that, at least to us, epitomizes comfort food. We remember champing at the bit for it as kids and really not much has changed, now that we’ve “grown up”…it just always hits the spot.
Our love for this cheesy, baked pasta extends to all its various iterations, but we’re here to present you with one you may not have tried before…fried macaroni and cheese balls. If that sounds anything but amazingly delicious to you, keep it to yourself, because it’ll only upset us, but otherwise, read on for the ultimate tastiness – these things are crazy good!
Fried Mac And Cheese Balls
- macaroni and cheese (this version is our favorite, but you could also use store-bought)
- 3 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- vegetable oil, for frying
- If making macaroni from scratch, prepare according to directions, but stop after mixing pasta into creamy cheese mixture. (No need to prepare breadcrumbs or bake in oven.)
- Pour mac and cheese into a large casserole dish and refrigerate until cold. At least 2 hours, or overnight, if not assembling immediately.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, a spoon, or your hands, shape macaroni into even-sized balls and transfer them to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Place tray in freezer and freeze macaroni overnight, or until solid.
- Once frozen, pour 2-3 inches of vegetable oil into a Dutch oven or deep-fryer and heat to 350º F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk and set aside. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish next to the egg mixture.
- Remove macaroni balls from freezer and dip them in egg mixture, making sure to coat completely.
- Shake off excess, then roll balls in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly so they adhere.
- In batches of 3-5 (don’t over crowd), carefully lower balls into frying oil.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through, until centers are hot and outside is golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Instructables