For a complete meal in one dish, this recipe is easy to make and full of flavor! We love Mexican and Mexican-inspired food. We love cornbread. It was a no-brainer for us to combine the two, our take on chicken enchiladas and cornbread, and make a casserole out of the whole thing.
For this one, really all you have to do is raid your pantry and throw it all in the baking dish. If you want to throw black beans in there, go for it! If you want to add sautÈed onions and fresh chilies, perfect! You can customize it any which way and itíll always be amazingósimilarly, if you want to make it a little lighter, you can use skim milk, vegetable oil, reduced-fat cheese or egg whitesÖthereís really no end of options for this meal and we encourage you to try them all!
Cornbread Chicken Casserole
30min to prepare serves 6
- 1 (8.5 oz.) corn bread mix
- 1 (10 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 1 (14 oz.) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup salsa (your preference)
- 1 1/2 Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400∫ F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together milk, egg, butter and cornbread mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until just set.
- Combine enchilada sauce, salsa, green chilies, corn, cumin and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- Remove cornbread from oven, poke the top of cornbread all over with a fork, and pour enchilada salsa mixture over the top.
- Spread shredded chicken on top and sprinkle cheese over everything.
- Return to oven and cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until cornbread is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Remove and let cool 5-10 minutes, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Tablespoon