Meatloaf is a great meal that is full of protein, flavor and sometimes veggies, though your kids don’t always know it. We love it because it’s comforting and we can pack in a lot of the items in the fridge that we didn’t tackle completely the first time around. Then we get to stick it in the slow cooker and go do something else. Nothing is better than sitting down to a meal that took 8 hours to cook (which you can taste in the tender juiciness of the meat), of which we were only present for the 20 minutes it took to throw everything together! This dish is a family favorite and it’ll soon be one of your favorites too…
Slow Cooker Meatloaf
30min to prepare Serves 6
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, halved
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup, divided
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Place carrots in the bottom of a 3-5 quart slow cooker.
- Combine beef, sausage, onion, 3/4 cup ketchup, breadcrumbs, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix and make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Form meat mixture into a loaf and gently place over carrots in slow cooker.
- In the same bowl, mix sugar, mustard, remaining ketchup and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder together. Spread over the top of loaf, cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or overnight), or on high for 4 hours.
- Let sit for 15 minutes after turning off heat, drain excess liquid and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Mr. Chow