When it comes to our sweet tooth, we’re not usually too discerning when it comes to how we satisfy our cravings. However, there is one treat that never fails to make us feel good and we just found out there’s an easier way than ever to make it at home! Homemade caramel usually involves using a candy thermometer and being ridiculously attentive to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn and the cream doesn’t bubble over and burn us. With our new version though, all you need is five ingredients (really only 4) and the ability to stir for 10 minutes…if you can do that, you can have these deliciously sweet and perfectly chewy caramels in no time!
5-Ingredient Caramel Candies
30min to prepare Yield: 4 dozen
- 2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sea salt, optional
- Line a 9x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving 1-2 inches hanging over the sides.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and combine butter and sugar until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- Stir in condensed milk and corn syrup, and bring to a boil. Continue to stir constantly and reduce heat to low. Cook mixture until it’s an amber color, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until caramel is a deep amber color.
- Pour into lined baking dish, sprinkle with sea salt (if using) and let cool.
- Once set, slice caramel into thin strips. Wrap caramels in wax paper or serve as is!
Recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb