Today we wanted to share a recipe that’s perfect for finding the fresh berries at a farm near you when they’re in season, or even just a fresh batch from the food store. Frozen blackberries will also work, but let’s be honest: fresh is better.
To get the perfect pie, it really came down to the filling. We combined the blackberries with some lemon juice and zest to provide a wonderful acidity to a berry that is already so juicy, slightly sweet, and so aromatic. A little cinnamon and almond extract helped to round out the flavor so this will end up being a dish that won’t last long at all in your home! Keep reading below for this great pie recipe…
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- 5 cups blackberries, rinsed and patted dry (defrost and drain if frozen)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon, divided cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking instant tapioca
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Place the flour, salt, and sugar for the pie crust in a food processor and process until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles a coarse meal (about 15 seconds).
- Pour 1/4 cup of water in in a steady, slow stream through the feed tube with the processor running until the dough just holds together when pinched. Add more water if necessary. Do not process more than 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather into a ball. Divide the dough in half, flattening each into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about one hour before using.
- Once the dough has chilled enough, remove one portion from the fridge and place it on a lightly floured work surface. Roll the pastry into a 12″ circle. Fold the dough in half and gently transfer to a 9″ pie pan. Brush off any excess flour and trim any overhanging pastry to an edge of 1/2″. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Remove the second round of pastry and roll it into a 13″ circle. Use a star cookie cutter and cut about 20 stars into the pastry. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with plastic wrap, and place the stars in the fridge until you make the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, combine the berries, tapioca, 1/2 cup sugar, juice, zest, and extract. Toss gently to combine.
- Remove the pie pan from the fridge and peel away the plastic wrap. Brush the bottom of the pie crust with the egg white and pour the filling into the pie dish. Arrange the stars on top of the pie and brush with the remaining egg. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375F and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden.
- Cool for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe adapted fromThe Baker Chick