Coconut cream pie is a deliciously indulgent treat and one of our favorites that we like to make a few times a year. There’s something about its richness that always impresses us and manages to hit the spot every time! While you’re more than welcome to make the crust yourself, we like to take a shortcut and use a store-bought pie shell so we can concentrate our efforts on the good stuffthe filling.
The one thing you need to be careful with, in order for your pie to turn out perfectly, is to not scramble your eggs when you cook them; that’s why they need to be tempered. By adding some of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks before putting the yolks on heat, you adjust their temperature so the heat doesn’t shock them and, in turn, scramble them. Now that we’ve discussed the basics, you can get going and have a delectably creamy coconut pie before the day is up!
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 pie shell (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted, garnish
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Spread 1/2 cup coconut flakes out over a baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Unroll pie crust and fit it into a 9-inch pie dish. Crimp the sides, prick holes around the bottom with a fork and prepare according to packing directions for a one-crust pie.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Place beaten egg yolks in a bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together coconut milk, half-and-half, sugar and cornstarch until thick.
- Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup milk mixture into the beaten eggs and stir to combine. Then slowly pour tempered eggs into the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Return saucepan to heat and bring mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute, continuing to stir vigorously.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, coconut and salt.
- Pour coconut mixture into cooled pie shell.
- Prepare meringue by beating egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue out over the entire top of coconut pie, making sure to seal in the edges.
- Top with toasted coconut and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool before refrigerating. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from A Spicy Perspective