When it comes to simple batters to whip up, this one is definitely one of the easiestthrow everything into the food processor, pulse it all up and you’re good to go! The result is a beautiful, simple-but-perfect cake with a lovely flavor that will always make you feel good.
The honey almond combo is a true classic, so there’s no need for bells and whistles. Once you’ve made it, you can have it at breakfast, lunch or dinner (or as a snack in the middle of the night), and feel free to garnish it with whatever you like: whipped cream, fresh fruit or preserves, etc. The bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with this dessert!
Honey Almond Cake
- 1 1/4 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed, room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- Brush 1 1/2 tablespoons honey around the bottom and sides of pan, then sprinkle 1/3 cup sliced almonds into the pan and set aside.
- Place almonds, sugar, honey, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt in the bowl of food processor, and pulse into ground.
- One at a time, add eggs, then butter, and pulse until incorporated and smooth.
- While pulsing, gradually add in baking powder and flour and mix until combined.
- Pour batter out into prepped springform pan and lightly hit it against the counter a few times, to make sure there are no air bubbles.
- Use a rubber spatula to smooth over the top and place in oven.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool, then run knife around the edge of cake to loosen it.
- Place a serving dish on top of pan, then flip over and invert pan onto the plate. Release the sides of pan and cake should come free with honey almonds on top.
- Optional: Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Note: toast whole almonds by preheating oven to 350º F and spreading nuts out on a baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Note: toast sliced almonds by heating them in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Stirring frequently, cook for 2-4 minutes, or until fragrant.
Recipe adapted from Chow