This sweet snack is simple to make and packs just the right flavor punch in terms of its salty sweetness! To get started, all you have to do is pop some popcorn and put in a little stove time; you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry, so then it’s just a simple matter of making a quick peanut butter caramel sauce and stirring in the chocolate chips (for a true “turtle” sweet). Mix it all together and you’ve got this tasty snack that’s sure to appease your sweet tooth!
We love it as an option for easy entertaining, but it’s also the perfect choice for family movie night. Once you make it and see how easy it is, you’ll be making it again in no time– enjoy!
Yields 10 cups
- 10 cups (or 1 standard store-bought bag) plain popcorn
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey or light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
- Pop popcorn according to packaging directions and place in a large bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with non-stick spray.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat brown sugar, honey and butter over medium heat and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Let mixture boil for 2-3 minutes, without stirring. Then remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, salt and baking soda (mixture will froth).
- Stir in peanut butter and chocolate chips (if using) until smooth and pour mixture over popcorn.
- Fold in peanuts and toss everything together, until all kernels are thoroughly coated.
- Transfer popcorn to lined baking sheet, spread out in an even layer and let set before serving.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction