For how good white chocolate cookies are, we feel like they don’t get nearly the attention they deserve. Normally bunched together with coconut or macadamia nuts (which certainly have their place, don’t get us wrong), we think white chocolate needs some time to shine through on its own. These cookies allow for just that! Giant (or mini) chunks of white chocolate peep through these chewy cookies, and the use of brown sugar and a bit of cocoa powder give these morsels a great depth of flavor that is really unique.
Since the base of these cookies is cocoa powder, you get a really interesting combination of flavor with the two types of chocolate. The chocolate flavor here isn’t deep and rich; these are more of a buttery and delicate cookie with a subtle flavor. They’ll still cure any chocolate craving… it’s just more of an understated chocolate fix.
That’s not to say that the white chocolate gets lost. Not at all. It provides a nice contrast but still manages to stand out on its own and the cookies are studded with that sweet, milky flavor that only white chocolate can bring.
White Chocolate Chip Cocoa Cookies
30min to prepare Approximately 3 dozen
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) white chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350º F, position oven rack in the middle of oven and line 1-2 baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Reduce speed and add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda, and mix until incorporated, then fold in white chocolate chips.
- Begin forming 1 1/2-2 tablespoons cookie dough into balls and place them on baking sheet(s).
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden. (Centers will still be soft.)
- Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Cookies And Cups