Chocolate and peanut butter go together like milk and cookies.The union between the two has been long standing and made public with the Reese’s peanut butter cup. But why is this marriage of flavor so sublime? We think that the savory aspect of the peanut butter as well as its innate saltiness create a clever combination with the sweetness of milk chocolate. They meet in the middle with their richness, which is the glue that pulls them together!
This recipe for peanut butter cake combines those two flavors intricately. Peanut butter and chocolate are both very heavy ingredients but this cake brightens them up and gives them a light fluffiness that’s delectable. Make sure you have a tall glass of milk ready, ‘cause you’re going to love this cake!
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cake
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and grease an 8-inch cake pan.
- Beat peanut butter, Nutella, coconut oil, brown sugar, white sugar, and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs to your mixing bowl and continue to beat ingredients.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and buttermilk in a separate bowl. Whisk until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Add flour/buttermilk mix to your other ingredients. Beat together until batter is lumpy. Note: Do not over mix these ingredients or your cake will be too thick.
- Stir chocolate chips into your batter.
- Add batter to your cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until baked all the way through.
- Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting or Nutella.
Recipe adapted from Daring Gourmet