If you want a fun and tasty dessert that is not only delicious, but also looks incredible and never fails to impress, this is the dessert for you! Deep-fried ice cream. While ice cream can always stand on its own as a sweet tooth-satiating dessert, frying it adds a whole other element that transforms the staple into something completely different. It’s got a sweet, crunchy outer layer – drizzled in chocolate and caramel sauce, and topped with whipped cream, naturally – and a perfectly cold and creamy center when you bite into it…what’s not to love about it??
While it initially might seem intimidating, trust us, this recipe is actually a breeze to make, especially considering how stunned your family and friends will be when you serve it. All you need to make this dish is a couple of pantry ingredients to mix together, some ice cream, and some vegetable oil. We promise you this recipe is worth trying – ice cream never tasted so good!
Fried Ice Cream
4 hours to prepare serves 8
- 1 carton vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups cornflakes, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers, crushed
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- vegetable oil
- chocolate sauce, optional, garnish
- caramel sauce, optional, garnish
- whipped cream, optional, garnish
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop ice cream and form into a large ball. Place ice cream balls on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining ice cream.
- Place baking sheet in freezer and freeze for 2 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine cornflakes, graham crackers, cinnamon and brown sugar, and mix together until fully incorporated.
- Keep bowl with crust ingredients at your workstation, then crack eggs into a separate bowl and whisk together to create and egg wash. Remove ice cream balls from freezer.
- Roll ice cream in cornflake mixture, then dip in egg wash. Shake off excess, then roll again in crumb mixture. Return ice cream balls to baking sheet and freeze again for 2 hours.
- Heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to 400º F, then carefully lower ice cream balls into oil. Fry for 20-30 seconds, flipping it over frequently, until golden brown all around.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then serve immediately, garnished with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and/or whipped cream. Enjoy!