If ever you needed a pick-me-up to brighten your day, this is the deliciously rich dessert you should choose! There’s something about salted caramel that really takes this treat over the top in an absolutely perfect way, but feel free to use regular or store-bought caramel sauce–whatever tickles your fancy! These cupcakes go above and beyond our expectations as we start with a great cupcake base, then fill them up with salted caramel sauce and top them all off with salted caramel buttercream frosting .could it get any better?
We love whipping up a batch of box mix cupcakes just as much as the next person, but making homemade cupcakes that we’ve spruced up to the max are so worth the added time and effort, you’ll be thrilled you made them!
Salted Caramel Cupcakes
Yields 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or fleur de sel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup salted caramel sauce
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line your cupcake tins with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. 3-5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Then pour in vanilla extract.
- Alternate between (gradually) adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, pour about 1/4 cup batter into cupcake tins until about 3/4 full.
- Place tins in oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- For the caramel sauce: pour sugar in the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, swirling and whisking until sugar completely dissolves and turns a dark amber color. Don’t let sugar burn.
- Add in cubed butter and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Remove pot from heat and slowly pour in heavy cream, whisking continuously. Be careful, as mixture will bubble up and froth.
- Stir in vanilla and sea salt.
- Pour into a glass container and let cool completely.
- For the frosting: in a mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth, then mix in cream cheese and caramel sauce.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, then stir in vanilla and salt. Taste and adjust flavoring, if necessary.
- When your cupcakes are cool, use a paring knife to core out a small piece of the center and fill each center with salted caramel sauce.
- Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Baker Chick