We love casseroles because they’re huge time-savers. After you’ve prepared them, all you have to do is pop them in the oven, and after an hour of much needed free-time –DING!– dinner is served! But sometimes you want a casserole that will truly surprise your hungry table mates. That’s where the cheesy tater casserole comes in!
It’s not only delicious, but it’s a crowd-pleaser, enticing even the fussiest of eaters. And it’s fun to make too! After safely sautéing the beef and onions, you simply add on the layers of delicious goodness: peas, soup, cheddar, and as many tater tots as your heart desires. Dig in and save a piece for us!
Tasty Cheesy Tater Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 10 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10 ounce can of peas
- 1 32 ounce bag of tater tots
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 1 white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Cook your ground beef in a large saucepan on medium heat for 6 minutes.
- Dice your white onion and add it to your beef. Cook for 6 more minutes or until the beef has browned and is cooked all the way through.
- Strain out excess fat from your saucepan.
- Spread browned beef and onions in the bottom of a casserole dish (About 10” x 16”).
- Drain the water from your can of peas and then spread them evenly on top of the beef.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cream of mushroom soup with your garlic powder.
- Pour soup mixture evenly on top of the peas and beef in your casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese across the top of the casserole so that it forms an even layer on top of your ingredients.
- Add tater tots on top of the layer of cheese. Make sure you arrange them evenly, covering the entire casserole because this is going to be your crust. It is also helpful for serving purposes to arrange the tater tots in an even grid.
- Place dish in the oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until the tater tots begin to turn golden brown.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cook Like Dad