Serve up this deliciously simple old-fashioned tomato pie as a twist on traditional sweet pie recipes. Invite your friends over for a mid-morning brunch, serving this pie as the feature attraction. Fresh tomatoes tempt the taste buds, while a cheesy filling adds richness. Use your favorite heirloom tomatoes to personalize the dish.
Save a little to reheat for a light dinner, or make a second pie to feed the entire family. Use a store-bought crust to shorten the prep time, and serve this pie up in the middle of the week as a quick, easy meal that tastes as good as it looks.
Old-Fashioned Tomato Pie
1hr 35min to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 6 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 1/4 pounds tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup yellow or red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 6 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Mix the flour, shortening, butter and sea salt in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Blend in the ice water until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, and work it with your hands until it is the shape of a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and place it on a smooth surface, Sprinkle the dough with flour, and roll it to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Place the dough in a 9-inch pie pan, and trim to fit. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Line the edges of the pie pan with aluminum foil, and weight the bottom of the crust down with pie weights. Bake the crust in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil, and bake the crust for an additional five minutes. Allow the crust to cool.
- Salt the tomato slices, and allow them to drain in a colander for 10 minutes. Mix the tomatoes with the salt, pepper, onion, oil, basil, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese and mayonnaise.
- Pour the tomato mixture in the cooled pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes