We love easy recipes in this house, and we also love slow-cooked food. So it’s no wonder that this slow cooker chicken dish gets our vote, because it only takes 5 minutes to put together. Then we go about our day and dinner is waiting for us in the evening. Easy!
This recipe calls for chicken thighs, which stay tender through the long cooking process. They marinate in a tomato and herb sauce while they cook, which makes them juicy and packed with flavor. We prefer to let the chicken cook for 8 hours on low, but sometimes we turn the slow cooker on high for 4 hours if we’re pressed for time. Try out this slow-cooked chicken recipe for a hearty meal the family will love!
Slow Cooker Chicken And Veggies
8 hours 5 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 pound red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 (16 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Coat the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add olive oil, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Place chicken thighs, vegetables, chick peas, onion and garlic into sauce. Stir to coat.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Use a spoon to scoop out each chicken thigh, then top it with sauce and veggies.
Recipe adapted from Ready Set Eat