Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so naturally, we believe in starting out strong with a meal like this hearty egg, sausage, and potato casserole. We take a few shortcuts with this dish, using frozen hash browns and a seasoned sausage, like mild Italian sausage, then toss in a little freshness with diced red pepper and green onions as garnish.
A meal like this is just as tasty as a breakfast-for-dinner recipe too! We like to serve this with a slice of warm crusty bread as toast topped a dollop of our favorite jam or with a cool fresh fruit salad on the side. When we want food that is delicious and hearty, we go to a combination of simple ingredients mixed with a few shortcuts to put together a wonderful meal.
Sausage Potato Breakfast Bake
60-70 minutes to prepare 4-5 servings
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen diced potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green onions, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x9-inch pan.
- Cook sausage in medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels.
- In the same pan, sauté onion and bell pepper over medium heat until tender. Add garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese. Set aside.
- Pour potatoes into baking dish. Top with cooked sausage and sautéed vegetables. Pour egg mixture over top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, then top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake 5 minutes. Cool slightly before serving and garnish with sliced green onions.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas And Their Pod