Growing up, we remember our grandmother whipping up pistachio fluff salad for pretty much every family gathering. We don’t let the “dated” nature of the dessert keep us from enjoying something so delicious; pistachio fluff salad is the perfect ending to a meal because it is light and not overly sweet. This old-school recipe is a throwback to the past; it’s so easy to make, and uses just a few ingredients. We make our pistachio fluff with crushed pineapple and marshmallows, and sometimes will top it with maraschino cherries. The bright green color of this dessert looks so refreshing and inviting, our family can’t wait to dig right in. We love to surprise guests with this unexpectedly retro, super cool and bright dessert!
It’s it just adorable! We love the pop of green and the crunch of the walnuts. For extra flavor, we like to toast our walnuts for a little extra nuttiness. We love the contrast of the cool pineapple with the warm toasted nuts. This is just too good!
Pistachio Fluff Dessert
15 minutes active; 2 hours inactive to prepare serves 10-12
- 2 packages instant pistachio pudding mix
- 16 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 20 ounces canned crushed pineapple, with juices
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Optional: Heat oven to 350 F. Toast the walnuts for about 5-10 minutes for extra flavor.
- Combine pudding mix and fruit cocktail in a large bowl.
- Add marshmallows and walnuts and mix until combined.
- Fold in whipped topping until everything is completely coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Shugary Sweets