We’re all about cheap and easy meals for weeknight dinners, and that’s what we love about this veggie and egg bake. As far as proteins go, eggs are a pretty inexpensive choice. The whole dish comes together in about an hour, but most of that is spent baking in the oven, so we use the free time to clean up. There’s nothing better than a clean kitchen after dinner’s done!
We pack this dish full of vitamins with great vegetables like kale, bell peppers, and mushrooms. We like kale because it keeps its texture when cooked, but spinach works, too. Then, we mix the eggs with milk and sour cream to amp up the flavor and give it a great, silky texture, and we top it with a whole cup of cheddar cheese. Is there a better combination than eggs and cheese? We don’t think so!
Hearty Vegetable And Egg Bake
55 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 2 cups fresh kale or spinach leaves, rough chopped
- 2 cups cremini or portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 5-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sauté kale, bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat until onions are lightly golden, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until light brown.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until uniform. Add sour cream, milk, thyme, basil, salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer vegetables to casserole dish and cover with egg mixture. Top with cheddar cheese and bake 40-45 minutes or until center of casserole has set. Garnish with optional red pepper flakes.
Recipe adapted from Savoring The Thyme