We can’t get enough chocolate in this house, so when we first tried a bite of Marie Callender’s chocolate satin pie, naturally, we fell in love with the rich whipped chocolate filling, the decadent cream topping, and that impossibly delicious chocolate cookie crust. It would probably look a little crazy if we went in there every week (ahem, every day), so we whipped up this copycat version one weekend, and it’s been a desert staple in our house ever since.
This pie has the silken filling and whipped topping we crave, and the chocolate cookie crust is out of this world. Just make sure to pre-bake the cookie crust so it stays sweet and crunchy. This pie comes together in about 20 minutes, but make it ahead of time, because it needs time to chill. We use a combination of fresh and store-bought whipped cream to add even more deliciousness to this pie. When we need a chocolate pie fix, this is a great go-to solution. We know your whole family will fall in love with this delicious treat.
Chocolate Pudding Pie
20 minutes plus chilling time to prepare serves 8-10
- 18 Oreo cookies, cream removed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 envelope plain gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups frozen (or refrigerated) whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (for dusting) or 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, or 3 tablespoons chocolate shavings
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Blend Oreo cookies into fine crumbs in food processor; slowly add melted butter until mixture is soft and sand-like. Press into a 9-inch pie plate and bake for 10 minutes. Cool pie shell completely before filling.
- Add gelatin to 2 tablespoons of water in a large bowl. Set aside until thickened.
- In a small pan on low heat, whisk together milk, egg, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Stir frequently until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to large bowl with gelatin. Stir to combine.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream at half-power for 20 seconds. Stir to distribute heat, and microwave in 10-second bursts, stirring between increments, until smooth. Add to gelatin mixture.
- Fold in thawed whipped cream, then pour batter into cooled cookie crust. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, beat heavy cream with with vanilla extract until peaks form.
- Top pie with whipped cream. Dust with cocoa powder or mini chocolate chips, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Favorite Family Recipes