We love our slow cooker, but it’s nice to be able to whip up dinner on a whim, so we came up with this creamy beef and potato stew as a great way to use up traditional beef stew ingredients without all-day cooking. Meat and potatoes covered in a creamy cheese sauce are the perfect solutions for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner. These are simple ingredients on their own, but together they elevate dinner to a whole new level.
We cut everything into bite-sized pieces before popping them in the oven to help them cook up quickly. The star of the show here is the creamy cheese sauce, made right in the same pan as the beef and potatoes. The creaminess of the simple cheese sauce turns this hearty meat and potatoes dish into something the whole family asks for by name, and it makes our house smell amazing. It’s simple, flavorful and filling – the perfect combination for any weeknight meal!
Creamy Potato And Beef Stew
50 minutes to prepare serves 8
- 1 pound boneless beef stew meat
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place steak, potatoes and onions in oven-proof skillet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic powder. Bake 40-45 minutes or until steak is browned and potatoes are tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add beef broth to skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add cream cheese and cheddar, and stir until melted. Return steak and potatoes to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat.
Recipe adapted from Bake At Midnite