We love finding dinners that take us back to our childhood favorites, and this cowboy casserole really does the trick. This dinner is a fun take on Shepherd’s pie. It has a layer of browned beef and corn in a creamy mushroom gravy, but instead of mashed potatoes, this creative meal uses frozen tater tots topped with plenty of melted cheese.
We like to pair our cowboy casserole with a side salad or steamed veggies to round out the meal. Sometimes we even put this casserole together ahead of time and pop it in the freezer to save for a busy night. It’s a great casserole to share as a housewarming gift or to take to a potluck. The next time you need a crowd-pleasing dish that’ll remind you of home, try our hearty cowboy casserole.
45 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 (32 oz) package frozen tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided; half for filling and half for top
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown ground beef in a large pan over medium heat until no longer pink. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Add onions to pan and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Return ground beef to pan. Stir in corn, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour beef and vegetable mixture into a casserole dish. Place frozen tater tops on top in a single layer and cover with reserved cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tater tots are fully cooked.
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff