This new take on an old classic is easy to make and it feeds the whole family. Typically, we make beef stroganoff, but swapping the beef for chicken makes the dish a little lighter and we love the finished result! The trick to making this dish as good as possible is to simmer the chicken in spices and vegetables all afternoon in your slow cooker. That way, the chicken tastes great and remains juicy. Whether you have it with noodles or eat it by itself—we've been guilty of eating it straight out of the slow cooker—you've got a filling meal that you and your family will love!
Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
8hr 40min to prepare serves 6
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning mix
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package egg noodles
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks and place them in slow cooker.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and add flour. Whisk constantly until roux is thick and paste-like.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth, then pour in milk. Whisk until mixture is smooth, then reduce heat to low and cook for 3-5 more minutes, or until thickened.
- Add Italian seasoning mix, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour flour mixture into the slow cooker and thoroughly mix it with the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or on high for 4-5).
- While still in the slow cooker, use two forks to shred chicken, then stir everything together.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook egg noodles according to package directions, or until al dente.
- Cut cream cheese into small cubes and place them on top of the chicken in slow cooker, along with sour cream. Stir together, then cover and continue cooking until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and mushrooms for 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Add vegetables to slow cooker and stir together.
- Serve chicken stroganoff with egg noodles and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Chelsea's Messy Apron