We like to wind down after a long day with this creamy chicken and wild rice soup. While chili is in heavy rotation during the winter, we like to switch things up every once in awhile with a soup that's just as refreshing as it is filling. With a subtle dash of lemon zest that combines beautifully with the savory chicken, this soup provides a delicious alternative to everyday soups; we love it and so does our family!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
50min to prepare serves 6-8
- 6 ounces wild rice
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 tablespoon marjoram
- 1/4 tablespoon sage
- 1/4 tablespoon rosemary
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper with 1/2 cup all-purpose flour in a small bowl. Measure 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 2 tablespoons salt-free seasoning blend.
- Zest one lemon (optional). Measure 1/4 tablespoon dried thyme, marjoram, sage and rosemary. Set ingredients aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 pounds of cubed, cooked chicken breast with 6 cups chicken broth in a large pot. Once the broth starts to boil, stir in 6 ounces wild rice with 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 1/4 tablespoon each dried thyme, marjoram, sage and rosemary. Cover pot and remove from heat.
- Melt 12 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan. Place 1 cup diced celery, 1 cup diced carrots and 1 cup diced onions in the melted butter. Sauté for at least 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of salt-free seasoning blend to the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
- Create a roux by slowly stirring in 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour into the melted butter and vegetables. Cook, stirring frequently, for another 3-4 minutes, or until thick.
- Gradually whisk cream into the roux to make it creamier and stir until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the mixture to thicken.
- Stir cream mixture into the pot containing the rice, chicken and chicken broth. Add lemon zest to mixture, if using.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat until rice is completely cooked and chicken is heated through.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy