Our hectic day left me in a pinch at dinner time last night. Before breaking down and just ordering a pizza delivery, I took a quick look into the pantry and fridge. Canned mushrooms and tomatoes from the pantry, and some chicken breasts and shredded cheese in the fridge…it was definitely a night for a casserole. I had no idea I’d soon create a new family favorite! With a “little of this and a little of that” and just a few minutes of preparation, I whipped up a surprisingly delicious chicken mushroom casserole that everyone enjoyed. A well stocked pantry is always a good idea – one glance around the pantry is sure to yield some dinner inspiration! Sure, we could have ordered take-out, but sometimes the challenge is half the fun!
Cheesy Chicken, Tomato, And Mushroom Casserole
40 minutes to prepare 4 to 6
- 2 pounds chicken breast, diced 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms, drained and rinsed (4 ounces each)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz), with juices
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a skillet. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, then sauté on medium heat. Transfer chicken to baking dish.
- Scatter mushrooms over top of chicken pieces. Do likewise with diced tomatoes. Pour broth over meat and veggies.
- Top with shredded cheese, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 5 minutes, until cheese is golden on top.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and parsley.
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker