When our tomato plants get heavy and ripe for the picking, we can’t wait to show them off at the dinner table. This time, we decided to save a couple tomatoes for grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches, and we used the rest to create a hearty casserole for the family. We wanted to combine the ooey-gooey comforts of cheese and tomatoes with something hearty and satisfying. We added tomatoes and our favorite herbs to a creamy, cheesy potato bake, and the combination was a definite winner. It’s savory, comforting and totally delicious. We considered adding some bacon or a little pancetta, but no one ever missed it!
Cheesy Tomato Potato Bake
40 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 tablespoons Romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place potato slices in large pot. Cover with water and boil over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender and translucent. Stir in sour cream and cream cheese until smooth. Season with garlic, oregano, and pepper, and mix in grated Romano until well blended.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella until melted. Combine sauce with potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Layer potatoes in prepared dish, alternating with sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is melted.
Recipe adapted from Life's Ambrosia