We planned a special dinner last week, and we wanted everyone to have a say in planning the menu. It was a unanimous vote for deep dish biscuit pizza casserole, but we couldn’t agree on a dessert to satisfy everyone’s cravings. The youngest wanted brownies, while the oldest begged for caramel sundaes. A simple cheesecake earned our vote, so we started our search for a recipe that combined the three. We will never disagree on dessert again! We had the time so we whipped up our usual homemade brownie recipe. But for a short cut, use a box of brownie mix, prepared according to package instructions. Scratch made brownies are absolutely delicious and really don’t require too much extra effort, but if you’ve got a box of brownie mix in the pantry, by all means, use that as a short cut! These decadent caramel cheesecake brownies became instant favorites. They’re moist, gooey, chocolaty, and swirled with creamy caramel cheesecake filling. They’re delicious by themselves, and even better served warm with a scoop of French vanilla. It’s love at first bite for chocolate and caramel lovers, cheesecake fans and brownie enthusiasts.
Caramel Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
45 minutes to prepare about 24 brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), melted
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup caramel sauce, plus extra for serving if desired (optional: salted caramel sauce)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving excess to assist with removal.
- Beat 4 eggs in large bowl with 2 cups sugar, melted butter and vanilla extract. Add flour, cocoa powder and baking powder, mixing to form a thick batter. Optional: fold in chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.
- Beat remaining egg with cream cheese, sour cream, baking soda and 1/3 cup sugar. Pour cream cheese mixture over brownie batter.
- Generously drizzle caramel sauce over cheesecake layer. Use a knife or small spatula to swirl ingredients, creating a marbled appearance.
- Bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Remove brownies from pan using excess paper as handles. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Let the Baking Begin